Today in History
- 1190 Third Crusade: Holy Roman Emperor Frederick I Barbarossa drowns while crossing the Saleph River (modern Turkey) leading an army to Jerusalem
- 1786 A landslide dam on the Dadu River caused by earthquake ten days earlier collapses, killing 100,000 in the Sichuan province of China
- 1898 US Marines land in Cuba during Spanish-American War
- 1916 Great Arab Revolt begins against ruling Ottoman turks
- 1963 US Equal Pay Act signed into law by President John F. Kennedy
- 1977 Apple Computer ships its first Apple II computers
- 2003 The Spirit Rover is launched, beginning NASA’s Mars Exploration Rover mission
- 2007 “The Sopranos” series finale on HBO (infamous “cut to black” ending)
- 1977 Al Geiberger becomes the 1st player in history to post a score of 59 (−13) in a PGA Tour-sanctioned event, during the 2nd round Danny Thomas Memphis Classic at Colonial CC in Cordova, Tennessee
Do You Know What Happened Today In History?
Wicked opens on Broadway, proceeding to win 40 awards just for the Broadway production.
United States Senate breaks a 75-day filibuster against the Civil Rights Act of 1964, leading to the bill’s passage.SponsoredAdvertisementSponsoredAdvertisement
Did You Know?
Mrs Clements of England markets first paste-style mustard
READ ALSO: DRUNK DRIVER KILLS TWO BROTHERS
Would You Believe?
Andrew Jackson‘s African Grey parrot “Poll” is removed from his funeral for swearing at The Hermitage, Tennessee. Funeral attendee William Menefee Norment recorded: “Before the sermon and while the crowd was gathering, a wicked parrot that was a household pet got excited and commenced swearing so loud and long as to disturb the people and had to be carried from the house”
- 1962 NFL running back Gale Sayers (19) weds his high school sweetheart Linda McNeil
- 1967 Margrethe II of Denmark (27) weds Prince Henrik of Denmark (32) at the Naval Church of Copenhagen in Denmark
- 1989 Detroit Red Wings NHL player Steve Yzerman (24) weds Lisa Brennan
- 2004 Model-actress Ali Landry (30) divorces “Saved by the Bell” actor Mario Lopez (30) due to irreconcilable differences only 2 weeks after getting married