Today in History
- 1788 US Constitution comes into effect when New Hampshire is the 9th state to ratify it
- 1854 First Victoria Cross won during bombardment of Bomarsund in the Aland Islands (Crimean War)
- 1948 Lord Mountbatten resigns as Governor General of India (formerly the last Viceroy)
- 1990 7.7 Manjil-Rudbar Earthquake with hundreds of aftershocks hits Iran; killing about 50,000
- 1993 English mathematician Andrew Wiles proves last theorem of Fermat
- 2009 Greenland assumes self-ruleThe island had been administered by Denmark (earlier Denmark-Norway) for centuries. The Self-Government Act grants Greenland full responsibility for its inner affairs, while Denmark retains control of foreign policy.
- 2004 SpaceShipOne completes the world’s first manned private spaceflightThe privately funded spaceplane reached an altitude of just over 100 kilometers (62 miles). Mike Melvill was the pilot and only occupant.
- 1985 The body of Josef Mengele is identifiedAn international team of scientists confirmed that the skeletal remains found in a cemetery in Embu, Brazil are those of the Nazi war criminal. Mengele was a physician in the Auschwitz concentration camp and conducted horrific experiments on some of the inmates.
- 1963 Cardinal Giovanni Battista Montini becomes Pope Paul VIThe Italian pontiff is known for completing the Second Vatican Council, addressing the Roman Catholic Church’s relationship with the modern world.
- 1895 The Kiel Canal is opened by German Emperor Wilhelm IIThe 98 km (61 mi) long canal in Northern Germany is one of the world’s busiest artificial waterways. It connects the North Sea with the Baltic Sea.
- 1966 “Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?”, directed by Mike Nichols and based on the 1962 play of the same name, starring Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton, is released (Academy Awards Best Actress 1967)
- 1970 FIFA World Cup Final, Estadio Azteca, Mexico City: Brazil and Pelé become first team and player to win World Cup 3 times, beating Italy, 4-1 in front of 107,412
Did You Know?
- 1986 Lana Del Rey(American singer-songwriter, model)
- 1982 Prince William,( Duke of Cambridge)
- 1964 David Morrissey(English actor)
- 1953 Benazir Bhutto(Pakistani politician, first female Prime Minister of Pakistan)
- 1905 Jean-Paul Sartre(French philosopher, writer)
- 1810 US President Zachary Taylor (25) weds Margaret Smith near Louisville, Kentucky
- 1924 Inventor Robert H. Goddard (41) weds secretary Esther Christine Kisk (23) at St. John’s Episcopal Church in Worcester
- 1930 “Titanic” actress Gloria Stuart (19) weds sculptor Blair Gordon Newell
- 1970 Sukarno(Indonesian politician, 1st President of Indonesia)
- 1940 Smedley Butler(American marine general)
- 1908 Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov(Russian composer)
- 1527 Niccolò Machiavelli(Italian historian, philosopher)
- 1377 Edward III of England
Please follow and like us: